Sunday, November 27, 2016

Reading Pop Culture chapter 7

On Novel Reading:
There are many different types of books that people may read. One famous type is romance books. People tend to read a lot when they are youth than any other time. For Example, I use to enjoy reading a lot when I was younger in middle school. I remember that was the time that the books Twilight were out which were kind of romance novels. My friends and me use to read those books together. Now I tend to read mainly the books I have to for school, I do not really make much time to read any other books.

Teen literature and fan culture:  
Many fans of books like to think about the "What If" question. Remembering when I was younger with those Twilight books we use to make somewhat the plot twist stories. One way that many people talk about the books and other things related to it is the internet. It helps bring people with similar interests together.

The Art of immersion: fear of fiction: 
Many people think that the only way to read is to have a book, now people have different ways to interact with books which are similar to reading.  Now people can act them out. This reminds me of the comic cons my friends attend because they dress up as characters and act out some scenes. Another example is video games. They have many characters some from books.


My zombie, myself: Why modern life feels rather undead:
In the past forty years, there has been an increase in zombies. This is shown on television, in the television shows and the movies. One popular example of this is the new show the walking dead. On of my aunts does not watch much television except for the walking dead. She just loves that show so before the season finale she watches all the episodes. She also loves talking about that show and wants everyone to watch it. I agree with the author when they said that "Because of Twilight series it's easy to manufacture an argument in which zombies are merely replacing vampires as the monster of the moment" (Ousborne, page 425). Most books now have a monster that becomes acceptable because of these stories. At the moment it is zombies because of television shows and book. In a couple of years it will be something else.

Escape from the matrix: 

Smartphones and social media are part of our society now. Since this is the case it is easy to share news with others. Social media updates fast now creating the fear of Missing Out. This is where one can not put their phone down for a long period of time because they are afraid of missing out on something new and important. Personally, this has happened to me. For example, in high school, I would always be on social media trying to keep up with everything that happened over the weekend so I would not be left out on Monday at school. For example, the new television shows or award shows, because if I didn't watch these things people would look at me weird and ask why I did not watch something. The fear of missing out is everywhere, people go through this which is why people our age are always on their phones, trying to look at everything on social media and not miss anything important.

Why video games should be played with friends, not online with strangers:  
Before there were video games, there were arcades where people would play games with others. slowly it started to change to the video games at home. There are now different games that one might play together. For example, there are the new virtual games that have the controller and they play using that. They are in the video game playing. It is something that a big group of friends can do together. This is important because now video games are important and this way people can be playing games but socializing with their friends. For example, when my friends and me get together we play just dance and even though we are playing a video game we are not just sitting on the couch playing. We are standing up having fun and socializing. This is better than talking to strangers through a microphone when we are just playing a video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment